Sunday, June 14, 2009

Summer of the Monkeys Part I

The first week of summer vacation is over. I think it will take a full week to recover. Each day this week we had a special activity and many also had baseball, gymnastics and Bible school.

Day one:
We stopped by the library and signed up for the summer reading program. Josh was not very excited about the prospect of 15 hours of reading, but I think that's because he doesn't realize how much reading he does. Maggie picked out some American Girl books and then helped Caleb choose his. They sat quietly reading together for 40 minutes while Josh and I hunted for his books. I find it funny that he didn't want to listen to my suggestions, but ended up with my offerings. He hates that I know him that well. I found a series by the author Tamora Pierce and finished it this week. It is aimed at 6/7th grade reading level, but I don't like sex/ violence in my literature, so juv fiction is for me. As I was reading it, Maggie had so many questions, I just gave her the first book to read when I was done. She is pleased with herself for following the story and has minimal intervention from me. Her decoding skills are fabulous and she can figure out almost any word, but sometimes needs help with their meanings. We also hit the sprinkler at home and the pool. Josh had a baseball game. His team won by slaughter rule in the fourth inning. It was a fun day all around.

Day 2:
After morning chores were done we headed to the pool. We spent most of the day there. We met up with friends and the kids had a great time.

Day 3:
We went to the zoo (in the rain). Josh brought along a friend that I will give credit to for keeping everyone's spirits up. Our family has been spoiled by years of zoo membership. His sense of wonder and excitement opened everyone's eyes to just how cool the zoo really was.
The rain was a bit of a downer, but soon everyone was in a poncho and had their shoes off. Poor planner that I am, I had dressed myself for a heat wave in a tank top and shorts for this lovely 75ish degree rainy day. I had to buy a hoodie from the gift shop just to survive. Because the zoo was less crowed than usual, we were able to see things for the first time like the tiger training. Next time I'm going to check the weather before we head to The Ville. Skyline chili ROCKS!!




Day 4:
We picked up an extra monkey while at the zoo, Baker monkey that is. We stole the kid's cousin Adam and brought him back to Lexington to help give his parents a break and me a breakdown! No, he was awesome and we went to the Explorium on Thursday. I had to write my cell phone number on Adam's arm because he wanted as much freedom as my own kids. The front desk people thought it was hysterical. I don't think we saw everything although we were there all day. The bubble room alone kept their attention for more than an hour!


Day 5:
With cousin Adam still in tow, we headed to Kids Place. I should have known better. The weather was not good for a pool day, but the kids and I had different expectations for Kids Place. There is a giant play structure with tubes and slides and ball pits and a trampoline. I figured it would be a great way to get extra energy out. What kids place also has is arcade games with tickets one can cash in for cheap plastic crap. The start of our trip I let them know they had to play for an hour before they could get their 4 tokens that came with admission. Adam had a blast playing in the ball pit and building a house out of funky puzzle piece blocks. My kids kept comming up to me asking if it had been an hour yet. I caved after 45 minutes. They had no clue, I'm sure it seemed as much like an eternity to them as it did me. Their tokens were gone in less than 10 minutes. They decided that they could get something cooler if they pooled their tickets. Score! Cooperation! Whoohooo! I held their tickets and sent them back to the tubes to play. Adam walked up to me a short time later and asked where the kids were. I had told them to stick with him, so I was more than angry whe I found that they sneaked off to the prize counter to scope out the loot. I kept the tickets and they will not spend them until we go back there...if we ever do.

Day 6:
The fun didn't stop on Friday. We had 2 birthday parties 3 baseball games and it was Caleb's half birthday. Having no time to prepare a (half) cake, I just gave him an IOU. He was good with that. There was plenty of junk food that day.

No comments: